Premier Long Beach Criminal Defense Attorneys

I Was Convicted of DUI. Can I Get This Expunged From My Record?

In California, a DUI conviction is recorded onto two separate records: a DMV driving record and a criminal record. A DUI will be stricken from a person’s driving record within 10 years, but it will remain on their criminal record unless certain criteria are met. Seeking expungement can be a very wise thing to consider, since a criminal record can make it difficult to find employment.

If your appeal for expungement is successful, the DUI will no longer be attached to your criminal record and you will be able to honestly state that you have never been convicted. While more thorough background checks will still reveal a DUI conviction, it will no longer be visible on a commercial background check if expunged.

Am I Eligible for Expungement?

Before you begin the expungement process, it is important to determine if you are eligible. In most cases, the first, second, and third DUI offenses are considered misdemeanors depending on the level of intoxication. According to California law, those convicted of most misdemeanors are allowed to have their case reopened and such offenses are considered eligible for dismissal.

Additionally, several conditions must be met for a DUI expungement, including:

  • The completion of probation
  • Payment of all fines
  • No other charges or sentences faced

The process of seeking expungement can take up to 120 days. A Long Beach expungement attorney can help you navigate through the court system and give you a better chance of success. By responding to court objections and attending court hearings to argue on your behalf, attaining the support of a trusted attorney can be an invaluable asset. If you have been convicted of a DUI in the Long Beach area and are ready to put your past mistakes behind you, the Law Office of Peacock & Le Beau can help you seek a fresh start. Don’t let a DUI control your future!

Make the first step towards a clean slate and call us today at (562) 888-9148.