Facing a DUI? A Long Beach DUI Lawyer Can Help.
If you have been charged with a
DUI offense, you may believe you do not have any recourse but to accept the
penalties. However, if there is any doubt in your mind about the legality
of the charges against you, ask the court for time to get legal representation. Our
Certified Criminal Law Specialist at the Law Office of Peacock & Le Beau can pursue case dismissal,
a plea bargain, or a an acquittal at trial depending on your specific
case and what is in your best interests.
After a DUI arrest, what should I do first?
We can immediately contact the California DMV to request an administrative
hearing. This will allow you to continue driving with a temporary driver's
license until the hearing has taken place and a decision made about your
case. The information submitted to the DMV could allow you to retain your
license, and we are very familiar with what to do in these hearings.
Next, plan to show up for your first court appearance listed on the DUI
citation if you have not hired an attorney. Also, be prepared to plead
either guilty or not guilty to the charges against you during that first
court date. If you have hired legal counsel, talk to your lawyer about
when you need to appear in court and what could be done to help you to
avoid conviction. There are many cases that can be dismissed due to errors
in police procedure, testing, or in the arrest process.
If convicted, what penalties will I face?
A conviction will very likely lead to much higher automobile insurance
costs. Additionally, depending on prior convictions and other circumstances
of the case, a person convicted of DUI can face the following repercussions:
- Mandatory installation of an ignition lock device in the offender's vehicle
- Vehicle impoundment
- Mandatory substance abuse treatment
- Suspension or cancellation of the offender's driver's license
- Fines or restitution charges
- Time in jail or state prison (ranging from a few days to many years)
What are the benefits of hiring a DUI lawyer?
Hiring a professional DUI lawyer can prove to be beneficial for several
- By utilizing the attorney’s knowledge of the ins and outs of the
law, a powerful defense can be made on your behalf
- A unique and appropriate response can be crafted for each argument brought
by the prosecutor
- The attorney handles the legal aspects of the case so that the client can
focus on the emotional and relational aspects of the DUI
- With extensive training in the legal field, an attorney can build arguments
in their client’s favor
What are the potential consequences of not hiring a DUI lawyer?
- If the case is lost, the cost of compensation for the crime may be larger
than the cost of hiring a legal professional in the first place
- Lack of guidance for decisions and strategy
- Countless hours of the defendant's time used up to educate their self
in preparation for the trial
- The risk that without an attorney, your arguments may be weak – whereas
a professional may be able to use unique and powerful defenses
Can I win my DUI case?
Yes, defeating or reducing a DUI charge in California is possible, but
usually only with the help of a skilled Long Beach DUI defense attorney.
An experienced lawyer knows how to investigate a case for potential constitutional
rights violations, inaccurate or unreliable blood alcohol concentration
measurements, and failures to follow protocol in police reports to see
which of those factors may have influenced the charges against you. The
Law Office of Peacock & Le Beau has successfully defended thousands
of clients during our 20 years of courtroom experience. We take a
team approach to fighting cases to ensure our clients get the best legal representation
Contact us today to get started with a free case evaluation.
For Further Reading, View Our DUI Blogs: